ATLANTE—Georgia recently added four new listings to the National Register of Historic Places. As the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), the Historic Preservation Division (HPD), hosted by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs, administers the National Register of Historic Places program in Georgia.
Nominations for listings are consistent with HPD’s mission to promote the preservation and use of historic places for a better Georgia. By sharing the importance of this list, HPD hopes to encourage the preservation of historic properties through public awareness and an appreciation of the important roles they play in our social and economic lives.
Georgia has 2,200 listings on the National Register of Historic Places totaling 90,021 resources. The most recent lists display the rich variety of Georgia’s history, they are:
College Avenue Bridge, Stone Mountain, DeKalb County
The College Avenue Bridge is a covered wooden truss bridge in the city, located inside Stone Mountain Park. Built by Washington W. King, an African-American man and master bridge builder, the College Avenue Bridge is one of only three bridges King built in Georgia. Until his death in 1910, King was a successful, highly sought after and prolific bridge builder. This bridge originally spanned the Oconee River in Athens. After sustaining flood damage in 1963, the bridge was moved to Stone Mountain Park in 1965. A Town truss bridge is defined by its structural system of timber struts, double chords, and truss patterns . The design, patented in 1820 by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town, became popular for its use of lighter wood and ease of assembly.
In Georgia, the College Avenue Bridge remains one of nine known city truss bridges and one of only 14 existing wooden covered bridges. The bridge is an important and rare example of his work as a master bridge builder. The College Avenue Bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 25, 2022. The Stone Mountain Memorial Association sponsored the nomination and New South Associates, Inc. prepared the material.
Savannah Water Works Pumping Station, Savannah, Chatham County
The Savannah Water Works Pump House is the only existing resource from the late 19and Century industrial municipal facility developed to distribute clean water across Savannah. Built in 1892, the pumphouse was built in what was once the outskirts of the city and remained operational until 1940. The Savannah Water Works Pumphouse exemplifies the efforts of city leaders to plan and develop systems to improve the well-being of its citizens. The construction of the hydraulic structures involved the 19and the most advanced municipal water supply technology of the century and provided clean water throughout the city.
The Savannah Water Works Pumping Station is a representative example of a Romanesque Revival style industrial building. The facility embodies architectural features synonymous with the popular 19and century style, often applied to public and large-scale buildings. The Savannah Water Works pump station was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on January 24, 2022. The City of Savannah sponsored the application and Ward Architecture + Preservation prepared the application materials.
Springfield Terrace School, Savannah, Chatham County
Built in 1926, Springfield Terrace School began as an elementary school, funded by the city, to educate children in a neighborhood of mostly African-American blue-collar workers. The school serves as an example of a purpose-built school for black students who were barred from most buildings and resources of the Chatham County public education system in the early 20and century. The building illustrates the struggles and successes in providing an education for young African Americans in the segregated South. The building displays the continuing influence of the Rosenwald School building program with its efforts to improve schools for African Americans across the South in the early 20and century.
When it opened, the Springfield Terrace School had about 240 students in grades one through six and was modern by contemporary standards of the time. It was designed to emphasize good lighting, natural air circulation and included a furnace for heating. Levy & Clarke, a Savannah architectural firm, designed the four-room schoolhouse based on one of its standardized plans. The school is the only surviving example in Chatham County designed by the company. The school served as an institutional and civic anchor from its construction in 1926 until its closure in 1991. Springfield Terrace School was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 9, 2022. The City of Savannah sponsored the application and Ward Architecture + Preservation prepared the application materials.